Cooking Thai food can be very overwhelming. A lot of Thai recipes have too many ingredients. Today I want to share with you an easy Thai recipe for my favorite Thai dish Larb. My mom makes it best! I remember vividly the very first time she made Larb for me.
Larb is the perfect food for fall. While the weather starts to get a bit cooler, Larb gives you a little heat from the spices along with it’s unique tangy taste. You can use any kind of ground meat you like. You can also have it with lettuce leaves or white or sticky rice.
Recipe for 2 people.
- 1 lbs of ground chicken
- 2 shallots or 1/4 of red onion sliced
- 2 limes or about 4 tablespoons of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of roasted rice powder (See instructions below)
- red chili flakes. The level of spice is up to you. I like it spicy!
- Mint leaves (about 10-15 leaves)
- half cup of water
1. Put the skillet on the high heat and add half cup of water.
2. When the water is boiling, add ground chicken and let it cook through. Then turn off the heat.
3. Put all the ingredients together. Stir until it is all incorporated
4. Taste it and add lime juice or fish sauce or sugar you prefer.
5. Put on the plate and garnish with mint leaves on top.
How to make roasted rice powder.
1. Put the skillet on the medium high heat and add uncooked jasmine rice.
2. Keep it in movement until rice turns to golden brown color.
3. Grind it with mortar and pestle of food processor. Please don’t grind it too fine.
Photo by David Gwennap
Edited by Alan Finn